Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Grand Market, Christmas Eve

I went to a performance on Sunday at Albion Gully that was a fundraiser for one of the youth groups there.  One of the Passionist Volunteers (Tania) was the youth coordinator for it.  I was told it was going to be a concert, but it ended up being a rally, and I guess in Jamaica that means that it takes forever.  4 1/2 hours later, it was done. 
Fr. Lucian (the coordinator for the Passionist Volunteer program) played Santa.  It was hilarious because as he was dancing around up on the stage, the pillow on his suit came out slowly and only got worse the more he ran around.  By the end, everyone was laughing hysterically.  I guess that's the price that's paid for a good time in Jamaica.
------------------


Yesterday was Grand Market.  In Jamaica, everyone waits until the very last minute to do their Christmas shopping, and that's what they call Grand Market.  Its a Jamaican tradition.  Some of the boys get the opportunity to go into town if they have enough "passes" (good behaviour) to go. Sr. Mimi drove a group of us into town.  Usually the boys hang around me because they know I have money and they want me to buy them things.  I should preface this with the fact that each boy who earned the right to go to Grand Market (about 15) got $1000JA...a little over $10US.  I was surprised when right away most of the boys left to go on their own.  The only boy who hung around me was Junior Whynter.
This is his picture.  I had never met him before this, but that is how I have become close with some of the other boys in the past.  I am proud of him.  Out of the 15 weeks he has had the opportunity to pass, he passed every single of them.  I rarely see a boy do that.  We walked around town and did some shopping.  We ended up walking to the Mandeville Shopping Centre, which was at the bottom of town (we started at the top) so it was kind of a walk, but he wanted to go see Sr. Mimi and the likkle boys she took to Fontana Pharmacy to see Santa there.
Here are some of the boys we met there.  Santa wasn't there yet, but he showed up soon after we left and gave each of them a little gift.  This wasn't the Santa that they were going to see later in the evening at Bosco, but Santa nonetheless.  
While we were at Fontana, I thought we would stop by Devon House to get some ice cream.  While eating the ice cream, we walked back up to the crowded area, finished our shopping/looking and caught a taxi back to Bosco.  It was a special time with my new friend.  I always look forward to Grand Market because i'm always lucky enough to spend time with a boy or two and get to know them outside of Bosco.

After we returned from Grand Market, a group of us got ready to go to Midnight Mass (at 5:00pm).  They decided to have it at 5 this year, like last year, because no one shows up at midnight.  There wasn't much difference at 5 though.  Most everyone was doing their shopping at Grand Market.  We took about 20 boys with us to Mass.  Sr. Mimi and I sit with the boys during Mass.  In the past, at Midnight, we would make sure they would all stay awake. We didnt have to worry about that this year.

After Mass, it was time for Santa at Bosco.  I helped Pat Kelly get in his costume and I got into my elf costume.  The Passionist Volunteers came over and one of them (Tania) dressed as Mrs. Claus. 
 
As we all were getting ready, Sr. Susan went to the rec. room, where the boys were eagerly waiting, to talk to them about the true meaning of Christmas.  Then, a jingle bell started ringing, and Santa made his appearance.After a big round of applause, Santa sat on his bench, and the boys who hadn't seen Santa at Bosco before all lined up and waited to sit on his lap.
Then, we passed out their bags that Sr. Mimi and I packed a couple of days ago.  After all of the bags were handed out, they were allowed to open them.  Let the chaos ensue.  They loved their gifts.  Quite honestly, the stuff they got, for the kids their age, any American kid would throw away if they got it for Christmas.  The boys here embrace the little they get and most of all, are so thankful for what they got.  A boy who wasn't allowed to go to Grand Market asked me to get him a toy car.  I had one in my suitcase (one that was also a Transformer), so I gave it to him.  To see the smile on his face makes it all worth it.  
He is on the left...Clayton Reid.  There was another boy who has been here a month.  He has had one of the worst attitudes about being here at Bosco, never liking even one second of his time here.  I have told him to make the best of it.  Well anyway, after he got his package, he came to me and thanked me for everything.  He really seemed to be enjoying himself.  He said the only thing he missed was his father.  It never ceases to amaze me how thankful these boys are for the little they get.  It just goes to show that Christmas isn't about the presents...it's about who you share the time with.  I decided after my first Christmas here in 2006 that I wanted to spend Christmas here for as often as I can, because I know that one day I won't be able to for one reason or another.  
This is Sr. Mimi with Rushane Hall (my shadow).
Here is Santa with some of the boys including Junior Whynter, who I went to Grand Market with...did I mention that he is such a good kid?  In the red is Rohan Jackson.  He's here with me now as I am writing this, and wanted to make sure I mentioned him.

Well, as things were settling down, the boys cleaned up their mess (the trash) and packed up their things, and the rest of us (elves) went to the convent to have our Christmas Eve dinner.  After 7 years of Christmas here, it is easy to take the good work that I am doing for granted, and I admit that sometimes I do, but I am reminded both on Christmas and Christmas Eve the real reason I come down here, and it makes it all worth it.
Well, I think I will finish this post here.  I will write about my Christmas and the meal we had with the boys at some other time.  I hope this is giving everyone at least a glimpse about how I am spending my time here.  Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment